Director of Content | Job Description
Position overview – Director of Content:
Accountable to: Director of Operations | Owner
As the Director of Content, you will be at the forefront of shaping our client’s marketing strategy and direction across multiple platforms. Your ultimate goal is to leave a lasting impact by creating an engaging online presence that drives traffic and leads to success for both 8Signal and our clients.
You’ll have the opportunity to bring your own unique flair to the table, as you help define the brand’s story and bring new ideas to life. You are encouraged to think creatively and not be afraid to blaze new trails in the world of content marketing.
With a passion for marketing strategy and a drive to support our clients’ goals, you’ll also be responsible for training a team of talented copywriters and keeping track of content performance through analytics.
You’ll lead the charge in making sure our content initiatives are on point and delivering results that encourage new business and cultivate opportunities with our current client base. This is your chance to make a mark in the industry and be a part of something truly special!
The right candidate will have the heart of a teacher, with a love of learning, writing, and communicating in all forms. They will see the value of every person on our team and put them at ease, in addition to seeing the value of every client and empowering them to help define their brand’s story.
The Director of Content should embody 8SIGNAL’s core values:
- A dedicated team player who honors their word and lends a hand
- A humbly confident individual who takes ownership of their actions, both successes and failures
- A self-motivated creative problem-solver who is not afraid to think outside the box
- A joyful and friendly colleague who promotes positivity and kindness.
Key Responsibilities – Director of Content:
Typical weekly duties for the Director of Content:
- Oversee the completion of project briefs and marketing strategy materials, specifically the Buyer Persona & Before/After Transformation Grid. (Note: The CVJ is completed by the sales team instead of a writer/the DOC.)
- Oversee the production of website copy and send it to the Website Development Project Manager for publication.
- Brainstorm (with the client and 8 Signal team) strategic topics and schedule them on the Editorial Calendar.
- Strategize (create and plan) search engine optimization (SEO) efforts for website and content provided on the Editorial Calendar.
- Ownership of all analytics and reporting for content marketing efforts.
- Managing 8 Signal’s social media for community engagement and long-term content promotion.
- Innovate conversion opportunities for lead generation for both 8 Signal and clients.
- Provide content strategy insight for general website updates and enhancements, e.g. website copy and calls-to-action placement.
- DOC will make suggestions on use of CTAs, recommendations for content updates on existing pages, suggest new pages, etc.
- Provide professional development and continued education opportunities for the Content Marketing team (e.g., copywriting and video training materials, DigitalMarketer training and certifications, Impactbnd articles, SEMrush resources).
- Stay ahead of the game by researching and implementing the latest content marketing trends, including AI strategy. Regularly update the content marketing process to ensure we are always at the forefront of innovation.
- Coordinate premium content production, like newsletters, flyers, etc.
- Present periodic analytics to clients and check in to see if content is exceeding expectations. (One a quarter at least!)
- Keep client’s social media presence on track by overseeing the scheduling and publishing of posts.
- Create, revise (if needed), and complete personal and professional contribution to corporate quarterly goals.
Key Performance Indicators (Evaluation Criteria) – Director of Content:
How success will be measured
The Director of Content will be measured on the continual improvement of customer nurturing and retention through improving content deliverables in the following ways:
- Brainstorming applicable strategy with the strategy team
- Seeking new innovations and techniques in content marketing.
- Providing training for the entire content department, including management, copywriting, and video content training.
- Increasing new prospects through 8 Signal’s content marketing.
Specific measurements of this criteria include:
- Increases in SEO keyword rankings.
- An increase in defined customer engagement metrics (i.e. conversions, submissions, purchases, increased website traffic, MQLs, social media engagement, etc.). “How well are we accomplishing our client’s goals and objectives?”
- Clearly defined content distribution during particular stages of the Customer Value Journey (lead nurturing).
- Improved/maintained strong internal operational efficiency, content quality, and team morale.
- Reports generated by the DOC (such as increased SEO statistics, lead generation, etc.), ensuring that 8 Signal’s content marketing strategy is on track for a client and making adjustments to sales, content strategy, etc. when needed.
- Customer feedback (possibly including survey data in the future).
Success of the DOC is measured through providing strategic, innovative, forward-thinking content that accomplishes our clients’ goals and sets them up for success through supporting 8 Signal’s biggest asset — our team!
Educational requirements – Director of Content:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Degrees in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications fields preferred but not required.
Required Experience/Skills – Director of Content:
The Director of Content position requires someone who understands marketing strategy and has an analytical, creative, and innovative mindset that asks “What will accomplish our clients’ goals and objectives?” In essence, the Director of Content pioneers the structure for each client’s content strategy so that every piece of content 8 Signal generates ties back to the client’s marketing strategy and business objectives.
Required skills include:
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Impeccable writing skills, with an outstanding command of the English language.
- Strong interpersonal skills, comfortable with a variety of personalities regarding team and client interactions.
- Interviewing skills, experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to sort through interview/topic content and sort it into a focused, streamlined content outline.
- Value-focused mindset, able to determine whether or not written/video content is providing value to our client’s buyer persona.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the team needs to know and how tasks need to be generated.
- A passion for learning, finding, and creating new technology tools and marketing innovations.
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- A strong passion for marketing strategy.
- Google Docs